Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hnefatafl update 2

Not only did I get all 37 pieces carved in a weekend craft bender, but I also have a new craft table! My assistant helped with both putting it together and with modeling.



Not pictured, ferocious cat army of one laying waste to pieces while I went to get the camera.  Happily she left me alone for the staining and I ended up with much more visually distinct sides.



12 defenders and the king. I'll get a better picture of him in the next update, but he's distinct by being about a half inch taller, made from a slightly thicker dowel, plus he's got a nicer helmet, cape, shield boss and his sword is at his side.


24 attackers. There's definitely something to be said for practice, I got a lot faster at these.  I didn't time it, (I don't really want to confront how many hours I've sank into this project) but I suspect I got it down to about 25 minutes per fig.
My next step is the game board. A circle about 15 inches in diameter will comfortably hold a square of the correct size, so that's the size of drawstring pouch I'll need to cut out.  I'd like to make the drawstring as well, and I've got unprocessed fireweed stems hanging out upstairs that can be made into cordage.  If however, life gets in the way (these have a contest to be entered in next weekend, after all) I'll just ply up some craft hemp string and use that.



1 comment: