Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Hnefatafl

So, hnefatafl is a viking age board game that is interesting for asymmetry. There look to be a lot of variations on number of pieces and size of the board, but basically a king + X defenders start in the center of the board and 2X attackers start on the edges. Attackers attack and defenders try to hustle the king to the edge and escape. Capture can only happen when surrounded, and pieces move orthogonally (up/down/right/left).

Have I played it? Nope. Am I gonna make a board and pieces anyways? Yup. I'm aiming for 12 defenders and 24 attackers out of 5/8" dowel and the king from probably 3/4".  I'm planning on the board being drawn on the drawstring bag the whole mess comes in, I should really order a goatskin soon for that.  Oh yeah, there's a due date. Judging for this A&S competition is Dec 5, so I'm going to have to do a few pieces a day (saving carving projects until the last minute is a great way to develop hand piercings).


1 comment: